Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Nintendo Comedy Club
March 28, 2024, 05:07:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Yes, we are officially dead. Please click the links section for other forums.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Metroid MMO game

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metroid MMO game  (Read 2079 times)
Link
Comedian in training

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2008, 05:22:56 pm »

I was thinking a while back about how I'd really like to see Nintendo go in-depth with the war between the Federation and the Space Pirates, and the factions in between.

So here is what I have.

A massive multiplayer online game... not an RPG, but an FPS. The gameplay would put you in the role of a Federation Marine, Space Pirate, Rebel, or Kriken, as your own character. You name them, and select their weaponry before a confrontation. Basically, you can play by yourself through a main campaign that puts you in the midst of several different planetary confrontations. Your character has three energy tanks, and it is your goal to help your side win the conflict by completing certain objectives, whether they be to just hold the enemy offensive, possess a geographical location, etc. If your character dies, you just start back from the checkpoint. All objectives will remain completed.

On to the Online. There will be several dozen planets, each with different, massive, sprawling environments. Players can fight for either the Federation or the Space Pirates. Over time, eventually specific planets will either be won or lost, and all confrontation there will cease. This will usually occur after a couple months, to simulate the true feel of a campaign.

Every few months, a new planet will be added to the list of planets to be fought for. This will allow for an ever-changing game experience.

When selecting a planet, the player chooses which planet they would like to be deployed on, and then selects a battlefield on that planet. Over the course of the planet's campaign time, some battlefields will close, and new ones will open, to simulate a real war. All will have strategic advantages, like trying to take a city under control.

Before entering battle, you get to choose what weaponry your character will wield. The Marine Assault Rifle comes standard, and does not count as a choice. Choices would include futuristic shotguns, grenade launchers, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, etc. As the game the online will update the list, with "purchasable" weapons and equipment, to simulate the changing technology of war.

Which brings us to our next point, the Marine's salary. For each battle a Marine takes place in, he receives a specific salary in proportion to his performance in the conflict. This allows him to buy weapons, armor... you can upgrade weapons, with an increase of firepower, ammo capacity, firing speed, reload speed... you can add bayonets to your weapon. You can upgrade your armor, you can purchase new armor made of different material. You can even have a "coat of arms" painted on your armor, which you custom design in a paint window. Another thing for when fighting on ground: You can upgrade ammunition, making all sorts of rounds, including armor piercing to take on the best equipped foes, rounds that detonate when embedded in an object, etc.

Space Battles will also be important. The player can fight in orbit or in deep space. The ship will be controlled from a first person perspective, like the cockpit segments of MP3. Using your salary, you can also upgrade your ship, buy a new one after selling the old one, and do custom paint jobs a la the war paint from WWII. All players have an opportunity to fly from the start, as all players have a free, standard GFS Stiletto Fighter. New ships will come available all the time.

During the Space Battles, players can raid the enemy's flagships, or defend their own. They can operate the cannons on the sides of the ships.

Back on the ground, from the starting point of the battle, players can take control of all sorts of vehicles, including tanks, speeder bikes like the one Weavel rode in the Hunters intro, and many more, all of which are controlled from a first person perspective. These also include aircraft, which can be used to bomb the enemy encampment, and diminish their supply of vehicles.

Battles will have no time limit, and will keep going until a victory is decided, which happens when all of the objectives are completed for a specific side. Players can drop in or out, and the battle will keep raging.

Besides the Federation and the Pirates, there will be a separate faction, one run by Sylux that consists of a rebellion against the Federation. These players have to work together to complete objectives on many of the Federation colonies, and sometimes get involved in the conflicts between the two main factions.

Another side faction will be the Kriken, but they are not playable. They are enemies to all sides.

Samus, Sylux, Weavel, Trace, and Ridley all make appearances in the game, but not as playable characters, just as combat leaders. None of them can really die, kind of like Luis from Resident Evil 4, he helps you, can get hit, but never dies. This is because these are all main series essential characters.

Several "High Command" events can occur, in which the elite players order tactical strikes. These include biological weapons, like gas and viral warfare, being used against a certain side. Nuclear weapons can also be used, at which point all objectives are cancelled and the only objective left is to make it to the evacuation zone imeadiately.

I was thinking that in order to keep it alive, the Kriken Empire would form an alliance with the Space Pirates once the GF side controls 75% of free space. Then the two forces would push hard against the GF. Then, when the two forces control 75% of free space, and the GF is losing, the Space Pirates betray the Kriken because they have no interest in sharing power, so it becomes a three way, galactic war.

Elite warriors with outstanding statistics would be able to apply for specialized positions, including military engineering, which would consist of ten to twenty people, and they would discuss privately ideas for new weapons, and then the game designers would review them and approve/disapprove them. For example, the engineering team would say "Well, I want to create a hyper cannon that emits a laser that travels across the surface of a planet and completely incinerates anything it hits." Then the developers would say "Alright, we'll make that." Then the new weapon becomes usable by High Command, who issues the command to incinerate the battlefield. Players on the ground would be standing there, fighting, when all of a sudden a huge beam of plasma hits the surface, melting the other side.

Engineers could also suggest new infantry weapons, new ships, so on so forth. It'd be epic.

The game itself would further explain the Space Pirates, which would be cool.

I think it'd be even cooler, although very hard, to be able to start out a fight in deep space, and then take it down to the atmosphere without any loading screens, with crystal clear transition from space to atmosphere, and then be able to assist in the land battle. There'd have to be some sort of boundary or something, or something creative to hide the boundary, like a huge squadron of enemy fighters attacks and overpowers you, shooting you down.

In every Metroid game, the indigenous species have always played a key role in the conflict, whether it be Zoomers, Ing, whatever. What if the wildlife/dominant species played a role, like you could get attacked in the jungle by alien creatures, or even if you run out of this serum that protects you from insect-born illness, you have to go back to camp to get some. It'd be interesting.

Another aspect, as added by Leonri, is "environmental hazards" including collapsable terrain, avalanches, poisonous atmospheres, etc.

Phazon would be very interesting to work with, as this game would cover the entire timeline of the series. And perhaps the game could cover some of the decisive battles mentioned in the series... including:

The Battle of K-2L (this would probably be one of the first, and a video entitled "Aftermath" would be shown after, showing Samus being taken away by the Chozo.)

All of the Battles from the Oormine System (mentioned in Prime)

The Battle of Zebes (the one mentioned in the original Metroid instruction booklet, says the Federation launched a massive assault on Zebes to distract the Space Pirates for Samus)

The Battle of Norion

The Battle of the Space Pirate Homeworld

And many, many more...

Anyway... that's what I have so far. Hope you guys like it, and hope that I can someday get this published.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Plasma Trooper
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:52:12 pm »

Great idea, but MMOs suck.
Report Spam   Logged
Link
Comedian in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:11 pm »

Great idea, but MMOs suck.
I'm sorry you feel that way.
Report Spam   Logged
Plasma Trooper
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:41:29 pm »

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Meh. MMOs suck because they cost money to play. What a rip off. And most of them are about rubbish. Like World of Warcraft. Ugh. I would NEVER play a MMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Ratiqu
Laughter Novice

Jaffar's apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:01:58 pm »

Not all MMOs cost more than buying the game in the first place. Guild Wars, for example. And as long as they keep security up, people who just mess around the whole time can mostly be avoided.

You forgot to add that players who shoot people on their own side can be arrested and executed.

By the way, I just had a decent idea. Maybe we could get someone to design a whole new system solely for running MMOs, able to handle thousands of players at once. It would probably be a bit expensive, though....
Report Spam   Logged

I'm blonde. What's your excuse?
TheAPERSON
Nintendo Comedy Club Owner
Administrator
Laughter expert

Smash Brother

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:49:16 am »

I don't really play online games at the moment but it's a great idea. Quite different to other Metroid games.
Report Spam   Logged

Ratiqu
Laughter Novice

Jaffar's apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:56:09 am »

And probably better than Halo.........
Report Spam   Logged

Link
Comedian in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:14:40 pm »

And probably better than Halo.........

With such a huge level of customization and intensity, I'm sure it'd easily surpass Halo.
Report Spam   Logged
Plasma Trooper
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:26:50 pm »

Halo 3 online isn't even that great. I should know.
Report Spam   Logged
TheAPERSON
Administrator
Laughter expert

Smash Brother

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 04:11:36 am »

I've seen OL1V3R play Halo 3 online and it's interesting to say the least. The arena they were fighting in reminded me of MPH.
Report Spam   Logged

Ratiqu
Laughter Novice

Jaffar's apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 02:17:43 pm »

Halo 3 is pretty good. I've only played it once, but it was with 8 players and it was almost as fun as MP3.

Almost.

Anyway, back on topic. I just got approval back at MR to add that there would be about 1 unit promoted to general for every 10,000 players that sign up. Also, the game designers would choose one of the best generals once a week on each side to play as Samus, Sylux, Weavel, or Trace. They'd be back to regular players as soon as they died, though.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:36:06 pm by Ratiqu » Report Spam   Logged

TheAPERSON
Administrator
Laughter expert

Smash Brother

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 03:54:08 am »

That's a great idea. I might head over to MR to see how it's going.
Report Spam   Logged

NXtreme
Laughter Novice

doo-doo-duh-DA-du-DA! WHEE! *splat*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 06:05:55 am »

i've got a good idea. How about each type of fighter has their own special ability. Kriken can climb walls and turn invisible, space pirates have lots of gadgets like jetpacks and can steal things from enemy fighters, Federation marines could have PEDs and a wide variety of weapons, i'm not sure waht the rebels could do though
Report Spam   Logged

to prove you are not a n00b, you must answer this question: can you read this?

Click here to level up my card!

Get your own here.
Ratiqu
Laughter Novice

Jaffar's apprentice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 08:28:23 am »

That's not a bad idea. Space Pirates would have limited development of weapons - they get most of their firepower from their enemies. The rebels would probably be able to plant traps, capable of killing 50 or more players at once, along with getting most of their weapons from old battlefields.

Then each of the hunters would have their own abilities, of course. Trace would have a high power sniper rifle, able to kill up to 5 players in one shot if they're all lined up. Sylux would be able to suck the life out of players to heal himself. Weavel could split in half, breaking legs with his top half and blowing heads off with his bottom half. And Samus would have use of 300 missles and 100 super missles every battle.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiroshima
Comedian in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 11:40:35 pm »

Invisibility is a VERY bad thing in an MMO in my opinion, but you said the Kriken were NPC enemies so it isn't as bad.  (I can't imagine how bad it would be for every single Kriken player to choose sniper rifles and just stay invis most of the game, picking off ANYTHING the want. >_>)

I LIKE THIS IDEA!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum